Hermanuv Mestec is located in Bohemia, 56 miles south from Prague. The Jews began settling there in the fifteenth century and the community reached its peak in the nineteenth century. The Baroque-style synagogue was built in 1728 in the center of the ghetto, then reconstructed in neo-Roman style in 1870. It was closed in 1939 and served as a warehouse until the 1990s. Today it houses an art gallery.