The town of Vila Real, in northern Portugal, is famous for its ancient architecture, which has been blending influences since the Paleolithic period.
It became a hotbed of Marranism following the Portuguese Inquisition, and has remained so over the centuries. This stability is largely due to its wine-growing activity, which has remained unaffected by political and religious pressures, as the town supplies the grapes used to make Port wine.
This longevity, which is rare in the region, facilitated the rebirth of the Jewish community following its discovery by Barros Basto in 1928. A congregation was formalised in 1930, led by Eugenio Cardoso.
Sources : Encyclopaedia Judaica