In 1897, 20385 Jews lived in Gomel (54,8% of the population), as compared with 37475 (43,7%) in 1926. Today, little remains of their life here. The Jewish quarter was located on the right bank of the river.
A beautiful synagogue with colonnades once occupied the slight bend that forms on the main road (Lenin Street). In its place stands the Mir Cinema, whose columns -those of the former synagogue- give the theater a temple-like presence. The streets in front of and surrounding the cinema appear to have once been Jewish.
The cemetery, now in ruins, is located to the left just beyond the southern edge of the city.