The Jewish presence in Breclav dates to the sixteenth century. The ghetto, constructed in the seventeenth century can still be visited. The neo-Roman style Synagogue built in 1888. Closed by the Nazis, it served as a warehouse for a half century. The synagogue today houses a cultural center, an exhibition hall and an auditorium. In 2000, a plaque was affixed in the synagogue’s entrance to honor the memory of the Jewish community of the city, exterminated during World War II.