Synagogue and Community Center of Helsinki
Malminkatu 26, 00100 Helsinki, Finlande
Helsinki’s synagogue was constructed in 1906 on a piece of land donated by the municipality near the market where the Jews practiced the only profession open to them: trade in used clothing. Morning prayer services following the Ashkenazic liturgy are offered daily.
The Jewish community center, built in 1961, includes a Jewish library of 5000 volumes, a children’s playground, and a school founded in 1918. One can view a Sepher Torah made of copper from the first synagogue in the city constructed of wood in 1840. The center is also home to the Hazamir Choir (founded in 1917), which has given concerts at the Finnish Cultural Center in Paris, the bi-monthly magazine Ha-Kehila, and all the Jewish organizations in Finland.