The history of the Jews in Senigallia is similar to that of the Jews of Urbino or Pesaro. In the eighteenth century, the Jews numbered 600 of a total population of approximately 5500 inhabitants. When French troops withdrew, the populace sacked the ghetto, killing thirteen Jews and forcing the others to flee to Ancona. In 1801, Pope Pius VII forced the Jews to return and rebuild their ghetto. As of 1969, only some thirty Jews remained in Senigallia.
The Italian-rite synagogue on Via Commercianti is no longer active. It was constructed at the time the ghetto was created in 1634, replacing the former synagogue found on Via Arsilli outside the Jewish perimeter. The prayer hall is located on the second floor. It has still its furnishings, which were remade after the ghetto’s sacking, including the gilt aron and the tevah surrounded by a semicircular balustrade standing opposite it. The pews are still in place as well as the placards with the names of the community members when it was still functioning.