Rezekne is built on seven hills, giving it its name.
The Jewish presence in Rezekne probably dates back to the 18th century. The town’s Jewish population grew mainly in the second half of the 19th century, from 542 in 1847 to almost 6,500 in 1897. Most Jews worked as craftsmen and tradesmen. Their participation in the life of the city was facilitated between the wars. The community benefited from a yeshiva and Jewish schools.
Following the German invasion in 1941, most of the remaining Jews were exterminated. Jewish life resumed very timidly after the war, not least because of Soviet restrictions. Only one of the eleven synagogues was still in use. Built of wood, as was often the case in the country, it dates back to 1845. The synagogue was restored in 2016 and cultural events have been held there ever since. The Jewish population was estimated at 250 in 1970, declining to 40 by 2023.
Sources : Encyclopaedia Judaica