Old Synagogue Kar Schul of Riga
25 Gogoļa iela, Riga, Rīgas pilsēta, Lettonie
Synagogue of Riga
6/8 Peitavas Street, Riga, LV-1050
Jewish Museum of Riga
Riga, 6 Skolas Street, LV-1010
Jewish Cemetery of Riga
4 Lizuma Street, Riga, LV-1006
Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Latvia
19 Rainis Boulevard, Room 210 LV-1586 Riga, Latvia
State Historic Archives of Latvia
Šķūņu iela 11, Rīgā, LV-1050
Around 9000 Jews live in Riga. Riga is also home to to the only Jewish hospital in the former Soviet Union. The Latvian Society for Jewish Culture is the principal organization of the Jewish community.
Few of Riga’s religious edifices remain. The Kar Schul Synagogue, which opened in 1871 and was located at 25 Gogol Street, burned down in 1941. Several hundred people trapped inside perished in the blaze. Some ruins of the synagogue can still be seen, as well as a gray stone monument engraved with a Star of David. Constructed in 1905, the synagogue on Peitavas Street was able to be restored because it was used by the Nazis as a warehouse and so escaped destruction. It is currently used for worship.
The Jewish Museum features exhibits devoted to the history of Latvian Jews and a video that retraces this history of the Shoah in Latvia. There is also an exhibit related to famous Jews of Riga. Among them are the Israeli philosopher Yeshayahu Leibowitz, and original and controversial thinker whose strict Jewish Orthodoxy nonetheless makes room for modernity and a left-leaning pacifism; the political philosopher Isaiah Berlin (1909-97), who became a British citizen and a professor at Oxford; and the great rabbi Avraham Kook (1865-1935), the mentor of the religious Zionist movement and the first Chief Rabbi of Palestine under the British mandate.
There is a plaque on the building where Isaiah Berlin on Alberta Street. (The building is next to the only building on the street with a yellow facade.) The former home of Isaiah Berlin, like all of those of the street, was designed by the famous Russian architect Eisenstein, father of the celebrated film director. The former Jewish cemetery, with its thousands of gravestones, was transformed into a park. The new Jewish cemetery was created in 1920. Registers of the deceased dating from 1951 to the present are available for examination.
The Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Latvia was set up in 1998 and is directed by Professor Ruvin Ferber. It includes a library.
Visitors doing genealogical research can go to the State Historic Archives, which possesses documents regarding most of the cities and villages with a Jewish presence before the Shoah.
One should also note that the Shefayim Kibutz in Israel in the site of the Association of Jews of Estonian and Latvian Origins, which has a library and important archives relating to life in shtetlach before the Shoah.