The city is best known for its historic centre, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Jewish presence is thought to go back a long way, with Evora boasting one of the largest Portuguese communities in the 15th century. It was also one of the seats of the Inquisition, with 9,500 cases investigated over the centuries. The Inquisitor’s Palace was located opposite the Evora Museum.
The Jewish quarter was located inside the medieval walls, near the Praça do Giraldo, and had two synagogues and a mikveh. Buildings from this period can still be seen near the Museum of Decorative Arts.
A commemorative plaque has been placed in Travessa de Cima, where the gates to the Jewish quarter once stood. The Evora Museum has a stone with a Hebrew inscription dating from 1378, as well as objects used during the Inquisition trials. The municipal library has an almanac by Abraham Zacuto dating from 1496. Sources : Encyclopaedia Judaica, Rede de Judiarias