The Shaare Tikvah Synagogue, designed by the architect Ventura Terra, was built in 1904. Its discreet facade opens onto a courtyard. The interior, built on the traditional plan of Ashkenazic synagogues, is decorated in the neo-oriental style.
A very intersting story can be found behind the walls of the small Ohel Jacob Synagogue. While most Portuguese Jews are of course sephardic, this place was founded be Polish immigrants in the 1930s. It is today’s only reform synagogue in Portugal and houses a Jewish museum.
The Jewish cemetery, founded in 1868, is still in use. It is of Sephardic worship. The old Jewish cemetery is located in the Estrela district, and is a part of the British cemetery. Indeed, the majority of the Jews buried in this cemetery, had passed through Gibraltar; where they had obtained British nationality. They kept this dual nationality preciously.
In 1801, the Lisbon community obtained a plot in the British cemetery. The first grave dates from 1804 and belongs to Jose Amzalaga. The cemetery was in use from 1804 to 1865. In 2010 and 2014 it was restored. There are approximately 150 Sephardic graves.
In the National Museum of Art (Museu Nacional d’Arte Antigua), note the figure carrying a book in Hebrew in the retable attributed to Nuno Gonçalves. This offers an image of a Portuguese Jew in the 1460s.
Rua de la Judaria is the only remaining trace of the old Jewish quarter in the medieval Alfama district. It runs alongside the Visigoth city walls.