Jewish State Theater of Bucharest
Strada Doctor Barasch Iuliu, București
Choral Temple of Bucharest
Strada Sfânta Vineri 9, Bucharest, Romania
Grand Synagogue of Bucharest
11 Adamache Street, Bucharest
Mamulari Synagogue of Bucharest
Strada Mămulari 3, Bucharest, Romania
Jewish cemetery of Bucharest
Calea Șerban Vodă giurgiului 2, Bucharest, Romania
Federation of Jewish Communities of Romania
Vineri 9-11, Sector 3 70478 Bucharest
Hasefer Publishing House
Str. Maria Rosetti nr.17 bucharest
Jewish Bucharest has almost completely disappeared. Of a population estimated at 158000 souls in 1948, there remain only 2000 people today. Spread out across the four corners of the capital, the are doubtlessly too old or in too precarious an economic situation to contemplate emigration. To prepare your trip, you can visit Romania Jewish Tours in order to book a guided tour of the Jewish Bucharest.
The old Jewish quarter
The old Jewish quarter was located near the Unirei (Union) Square on the other side of Sfanta Vineri Street. To the southeast, Dudesti and Vàcàresti streets resounded with the joys and color of Jewish life. These streets no longer exist. In their place stretches a vague, rubble-strewn terrain the locals call “Hiroshima”. Ceausescu reduced it all to nothingness in order to build a mad, improbable “City of the Future”. A lone house attests to the Jewish presence in these parts: the Jewish State Theater. This is where actors -non-Jewish ones, for that matter- continue to learn Yiddish and interpret works by the great jewish playwrights in the original language.
Few active synagogues remain in Bucharest. At the turn of the twentieth century, however, the city contained at least sixty-six of them, Sephardic as well as Ahkenazic.
The Choral Temple remains the city’s most important religious site today. Built in 1866 according to a design by the architects Endele and Freiwald in the Viennese style (just like the synagogue on Dohány Street in Budapest), it was rebuilt in 1933 and then in 1945, after it was vandalized by the Iron Guards during a January 1941 pogrom.
The Grand Synagogue, which catered to the Ashkenazic community, was built in 1846 by a congregation of Polish Jews. It stands on Vasile Adamache Street, one of the oldest streets in the capital, alongside miraculously preserved low houses. In 1992, this synagogue was transformed into a museum. Here you will find religious objects, documents, and precious incunabula that retrace the history of Romania’s former Jewish communities. In the center sits a statue in honor of the tens of thousands of Trans-Dniestrian Jews, victims of pogroms and deportations. During the war, 200000 Transylvanian Jews were sent to Auschwitz by the Hungarian authorities, never to return. The Mamulari Synagogue hosts as well a Jewish Museum.
The austere Sephardic cemetery Calea Serban Vodà also bears the scars of the pogroms and mass exterminations suffered by Romanian Jews in Moldavia, Bukovina, Bessarabia, and Trans-Dniestra.
Jewish life today
A visit to the sober Shoah Memorial is advised. The Museum opened in 2009, as Romania only very recently started acknowledging publicly its responsibility in the Shoah.
The dynamic Federation of Jewish Communities of Romania publishes -in Romanian, English, and Hebrew- the excellent bimonthly Réalitatea evreascà (Jewish reality). The catalog of Hasefer, perhaps the only remaining jewish publishing house in eastern and Central Europe, contains works by Sholem Aleichem, Martin Buber, Bernard Malamud, and Simon Dubnov, as well as those by Romanian-born authors Elie Wiesel, Carol Lancu, and Mihail Sebastian.