Granada’s splendor was at its apogee in the eleventh century, when Samuel ha-Nagid and his son Joseph were in charge of the kingdom. The large Jewish population exceeded 5000 and reached 20000 by the eve of expulsion. Sadly, the Judería was destroyed by order of the Catholic monarchs.
In Granada’s center, Calle Pavaneras, the modern statues of Yehuda ibn Tibbon and the Talmudist and poet Samuel ibn Negrella remind us of the city’s Jewish past.
When visiting the Alhambra, it is worth remembering that the Ambassadors’ Room was where the catholic monarchs signed the edict expelling Spain’s Jews on 31 March 1492.