Cáceres had a fairly sizable Jewish presence after the Christian reconquest. In 1479, 100 married Jews were listed in a community with some 650 members. They lived in two juderías: the “old” one was on the site of today’s Casa de las Veletas, and the “new” one was around Plaza Mayor, where the Jews had most of their shops.
The San Antonio chapel is probably an old synagogue that was transformed. Small, with a porch and single hall, it is built on the traditional synagogue plan.
The chapel, now unused, serves as a conference room for the cultural center housed in the Palacio del Marques de la Isla. It too might once have been a synagogue.