The presence of Auxerre Jews in the capital of Yonne is attested by a letter from Rashi to the Talmudists in the region.
A stone on a wall of the Clock Tower contains a Hebrew inscription. Jews were expelled from the city several times between 1184 and 1393.
The Auxerre Jews will once again be part of the city with the wind of emancipation from the French Revolution.
However, there were only 70 Jews on the eve of World War II.