The Jewish presence in Périgueux seems to date back at least to the 13th century, since Jews were expelled in 1302. This is evidenced by the Ancienne Juiverie, known as rue Judaïque, located behind the Museum of Périgord.
The contemporary Jewish presence in Périgord is mainly the result of the settlement of Alsatian Jews in the town at the beginning of the Second World War.
A community centre was built in the 1960s, in the wake of the arrival of Jews from North Africa. The synagogue offers services with Ashkenazi and Sephardic rites.