At the height of the Middle Ages, the Jewish community in Mainz rivaled the communities of Worms and Speyer. Few traces of this community remain.
Among several stone tombs preserved in the Jewish cemetery is that of Rabbi Gershom ben Yehuda (c. 960-1028), called Meor ha-Golah (Light of the Exile). A
A new synagogue has replaced the old one. It was built in 2010 and is part of the Jewish Community center which also holds a mikveh, a school, a Library and a cultural center.