A very old town, dating back to Roman times, Santarem is known for its ruins and buildings marking the passage between conquerors and eras. Santarem became part of the Kingdom of Portugal in 1147, following the conquest by Dom Afonso Henriques.
The Jewish quarter was located near the Travessa da Judiaria, inside the city walls. This long-standing presence of the Jewish community probably explains their attachment to the town and the desire of many of them to continue living there as Marranos during the Inquisition.
Sources : Encyclopaedia Judaica