Ammerschwihr is a village a few kilometres north of Colmar, on the Alsace wine route.
The Jewish presence here dates back at least to the 16th century, as attested by an administrative text concerning a commercial dispute between residents of Ammerschwihr. The municipal laws of 1561 also refer to the rights of residence of the Jews of Ammerschwihr. They were subject to additional taxes and restrictions on travel, particularly during Christian holidays. As a result of all these restrictions, the Jewish inhabitants gradually left the town at the end of the 16th century. The Rue des Juifs (Street of the Jews) ran between the Porte de Colmar and the village market.
Sources : Encyclopaedia Judaica