Synagogue of Dambach-la-Ville
27 Rue de la Paix, Dambach-la-Ville, France
The Jewish community of Dambach-la-Ville dates back to the seventeenth century and so is the synagogue which was renovated in 1850. After the community disappeared, it was donated to the town in 1947 and transformed into a theatre.
In 2012, construction work in the building lead to the discovery of a wonderful treasure: a genizah (a storage area in a synagogue or cemetery designated for the temporary storage of worn-out Hebrew-language books and papers on religious topics prior to proper cemetery burial) gathering documents from the sixteenth century until 1894. The majority of the collection was donated to the Jewish Museum of Strasbourg.